Breakfast. The most important meal of the day. Yadda yadda yadda. I know what you’re going to say. “We’ve heard all this before.” “I just don’t have the time in the morning to make breakfast.” “Coffee counts as breakfast right?”
First, I realize you’ve been told about how important eating breakfast is since you were five. But no joke, getting proper nutrition early in your day is crucial to your health and your fitness goals. Trying to cut down on body fat? Not eating breakfast destabilizes your blood sugar all day long. This affects your insulin levels and can cause you to retain more adipose tissue. Ready to kill that workout in class today? Probably not bro. No breakfast means no fuel for that WOD. Hard to Fran it up when your too hungry to remember what day it is.
Now coffee. Look, I love coffee. But it’s not breakfast. Coffee, real coffee, lacks the caloric fortitude to really help your body. That thing that Willy Wonka makes at Starbucks for you has plenty of calories but not the ones you want. Plus if sugar is what you’re using to keep your body from crashing, I have bad news: It’s gonna anyway. No one likes coming down off the sugar high.
Finally: Time. Guess what? Nobody has it. It’s a myth made up by people with too many cats. But, we need to make the time for things like our health. Preparing food in large quantities beforehand can save a lot of time. Below is a pretty clean and tasty recipe I found. Supposedly it makes 8 sevings. So maybe try making this ahead of time and eating it for breakfast throughout the week. It’s worth a shot. It might even give you some new ideas of your own to try.
Paleo Sausage and Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
- 1 1/2 lbs breakfast sausage
- 1/2 tbls coconut oil
- 12 eggs
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsip sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 4 cups power greens (kale, spinach, arugula)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt coconut oil and add in sausage.
- Brown and break apart with a wooden spoon.
- Beat eggs in extra large bowl.
- Shred sweet potatoes and onion in your food processor. Mix into eggs with seasoning, coconut milk and power greens.
- Grease 9×13 casserole dish with more coconut oil.
- Pour in egg mixture and stir in sausage.
- Cook for 45 minutes. Cover with foil and cook for 10 more minutes or until center is set.